Also, take the time to visit www.elliotelliotelliot.com

Monday, January 22, 2007

Long Day

It was a long but productive day and I've returned home to find Time Bandits on the television.
Time Bandits is one of my favourite films in the world, and of a type of film that simply doesn't get made anymore.
What other family film ends with the deaths of a little boys parents with no explanation as to how the poor chap is supposed to carry on (they die after being told specifically NOT to touch a lump of concentrated evil by their son).
Is there another film has Ralph Richardson as God, and a tetchy and not very friendly one at that?
With the exception of the little boy and Sean Connery's, Agammemnon almost every other character is dreadful, or stupid or mean or all three.
The main character, Kevin, learns almost nothing about the world and his one chance at happiness is forcibly taken from him.
And it's all wonderfully funny and brilliant and full of exciting great things that kids love, like monsters and spaceships and cowboys and knights in shining armour.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten all about that movie. I haven't seen it since I was but a wee one.

Richard Mitchelson said...

The scene where they smash that ENORMOUS mirror in the desert. That makes that movie for me. Truly spectacular. It's on film four, will have to check it out i think.

Matt Jones said...

I heard it's being re-made.

FelixSputnik said...

I aggree. They were trying to make a sequel in the guise of a mini series, with Gilliam producing.
It also featured some virus estate agends selling properties on human bodies. I did some designs for the viruses and shook the great ones hand.
He laughed a lot...
I haven't washed my hands since...

Also, I'm blogging again...

I think...

Oscar Grillo said...

In casting God nobody beats Otto Preminger who cast Groucho Marx as God in his 1968 film "Skidoo"

 
Blog Directory - Blogged